Where Were You


Twelve years ago, on September 11, 2001, the world was taken by surprise. The United States was under attack. Much of the 911 remembrance is about what happened when two planes crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center, however, we must remember the plane that hit the Pentagon and United Airlines Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania!
I remember where I was, what I was doing and who I was with like it was yesterday. I will never forget that day as long as I have my rightful mind. I had just gotten my oldest off to Kindergarten and come back up to the house to check on our youngest and his nurse. My Mama and Daddio were at our home visiting while my hubs was at work. I had just turned on the TV downstairs for my Daddio and we sat down to watch the remainder of the news. We had no idea that we would be watching the news for the remainder of the day. At first, they replayed the first plane crashing into the first of the twin towers. We were horrified. We stopped everything and said a prayer. As we went back to watching the television, my Daddio made a remark of seeing the plane over and over only to hear me screaming "No, No, No - that's another plane - the other tower has been hit by another plane!" It was then we realized that the Pentagon also had a plane crash into it. Then shortly after, yet another plane crashing in Pennsylvania that was believed to be heading towards our Nation's Capital! We were wracked with grief and disbelief! I called my husband as soon as I could gather myself. My first thought was I want my loved ones home with me. If I'm not mistaken, I think hubs told me they were on lockdown and would be following the news. I wanted so badly to go get Drew from school but they were on lockdown as well. All we could do was watch and pray. My Mama and I got to talking about family back East. I wondered if my cousin Eric was in the city that day working. So many questions, but no answers. It seemed all circuits were busy. All we could do was pray to our Lord and Savior that He be with all those affected.
I remember many people asking "Where were you?" I also remember many people asking about where God was. God was right there. I suppose I will never understand when someone blames God for what happened on 9.11.2001! When Alan Jackson sang Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning, I would instantly tear up and pray.
Many of my friends and acquaintances went to New York to help with Ground Zero and many of my friends that served in The Armed Forces were shipped overseas when the invasion happened a few years later. For a time, The United States of America seemed to grow closer and it seemed so many that had turned away from God were running back to Him. If only we, as a Nation had held onto that...I do believe many became stronger in their faith, but so many turned their backs on Him. I couldn't imagine my life without having The Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment